Business Technology & Management (AAS)
- Type of Degree: Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 61
As Business Technology and Management graduates, students are well prepared to move into careers in business. Our broad-based curriculum encompasses accounting, computer applications, management, writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills. The Business Technology & Management program includes all aspects of the accounting cycle, business correspondence, effective oral presentation, document and communication collaboration systems, the structure and function of human behavior in organizations and how behavioral influences impact productivity, organizational effectiveness, and efficiency at the individual, small group, and organizational levels. Students also learn to develop marketing strategies to satisfy specific target audiences and create a marketing mix using the “4 Ps”: product, price, place, and promotion. They also learn to apply and integrate marketing concepts with other business disciplines to effect a business strategy.
In the area of human resources, students come to understand what is involved in selecting, training, and evaluating personnel and identify best practices in employee training, development, appraisal, and rewards. They also study the basic operations, tools, and production functions of an organization involved in the efficient and effective creation and delivery of goods and services.
Finally, students focus on the phases of successful project management and come to understand the key characteristics and terminology of the business disciplines of management, human resources, marketing, and finance so that they can integrate these disciplines to develop and effect corporate strategies and plans.
Graduates of this program enjoy a wide range of career options in business, industry, government, and public institutions. They may be office managers; staff accountants; accounting specialists; marketing and communication coordinators; sales and customer service managers; project managers; or small business owners. As an alternative to immediate employment, graduates may choose to enroll in the bachelor’s degree program at Vermont Tech or they may transfer to a bachelor’s degree program elsewhere with majors such as marketing or accounting.
Highlights of the program include a formal business dinner where students dress in professional attire and learn the rules of formal dining. Students also learn resumé writing and job interview skills and attend a “mocktail” reception and interview. Seniors complete a capstone project which includes a team oral presentation judged by professionals from business and industry.
Students with an Associate of Applied Science in Business Technology & Management will be able to:
- Complete the steps of the accounting cycle, including processing and recording typical cash receipts, cash payments, sales, vendor, and payroll transactions; prepare and interpret financial statements for service and merchandising businesses on an accrual basis; and understand module integrated accounting software and use Peachtree software to record and process typical transactions and prepare financial statements
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access to create business documents and use Microsoft Publisher to design and develop newsletters, brochures, and other promotional materials. Students will be introduced to additional document and communication collaboration systems
- Write business letters, memos, email messages, instant messages, and blog posts; create reports using accurate research methods and citations; and develop and deliver an effective oral presentation
- Understand the psychology of face-to-face communication and the role of non-verbal communication; demonstrate successful team skills, effective listening, and professional behavior; effectively utilize resume-writing, interviewing, and job-seeking skills to advance their career goals
- Understand the key characteristics and terminology of the business disciplines of management, human resources, marketing, and finance
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Business Technology & Management
Vermont Tech Business Technology & Management student outcomes are strong. The class of 2015 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.
- Select one