- Type of Degree: Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 120
Do you want to be your own boss? Start your own business? What you study can be the key to converting your idea or technical skills into a business enterprise of your own. If you have an ambition to be an entrepreneur, you are among a growing segment of the US economy. According to the Kauffman Index of Startup Activity, a national early indicator of new business creation in the United States, activity rose 10% in 2015 in a sharp contrast to the downward trend started in 2010. Their calculations approximate 530,000 new business owners each month during the year in 2015. Entrepreneurs play a critical role in economic development.
Vermont Tech’s Entrepreneurship curriculum is designed to help the emerging entrepreneur harness opportunities, ignite change, and build a successful business. Students will learn about transforming ideas into enterprises that add value.
The BS degree in Entrepreneurship expands upon the associate degree requirements and emphasizes personal development in accounting, supervision, communication, policy development, project management, and relationship management. This curriculum is designed to help an emerging entrepreneur harness opportunities and build a successful business. Students will be trained in the skills needed to innovate, create, and develop business plans, raise capital, and manage a small business.
Graduates of the program will be able to recognize a business opportunity that meets their needs, provide self-analysis in the context of an entrepreneurial career, and find an attractive market that can be reached economically. In addition, students will learn how to launch their entrepreneurial career, create a business model, articulate their “elevator pitch” to gain support, and develop and present a business plan.
Students who complete the bachelor’s degree will acquire the skills to manage, optimize, and lead their growing businesses.
A student with a Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship will be able to:
- Understand the accounting cycle including the processing and recording of typical cash receipts, cash payments, sales, vendor, and payroll transactions on an accrual and cash basis
- Interpret financial statements and prepare budgets
- Apply financial information to broad-based business decision making
- Write business letters, memos, email messages, instant messages, and blog posts
- Create reports using accurate research methods and citations
- Develop and deliver an effective oral team presentation on a strategic business topic
- Understand the structure and function of human behavior in organizations and how behavioral influences impact productivity, organizational effectiveness, and efficiency at the individual, small group, and organizational levels
- Develop marketing strategies to satisfy specific target audiences and create a marketing mix using the “4 Ps” of product, price, place, and promotion
- Apply and integrate marketing concepts with other business disciplines to affect a business strategy
- Perform human resources functions in the areas of selecting, training, and evaluating personnel
- Identify best practices in employee training, development, appraisal, and rewards
- Understand the basic operations, tools, and production functions of an organization involved in the efficient and effective production and delivery of goods and services
- Understand the genesis of project, program, and portfolio management
- Use the tools and techniques involved in initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing projects
- Understand the key characteristics and terminology of the business disciplines of management, human resources, marketing, and finance and integrate these disciplines to develop and affect corporate strategies and plans
- Recognize a business opportunity that meets their individual needs
- Understand how to launch an entrepreneurial career
The student, in conjunction with the department chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their background and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum is shown here.
- Scholarships: While there are no program-specific scholarships available at this time, additional scholarships are available.
Careers in Entrepreneurship
Vermont Tech data: 6 Month Outcome Survey, Class of 2017 National Data: National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) First Destinations for the College Class of 2016 (October 2017)
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s Ag program is like one big family.
- I get lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
News & Events
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.