- Type of Degree: Certificate
- Location: Williston Campus, Bennington
- Credit Requirements: 40
Vermont Tech offers a Paramedic certificate program at the Bennington and Williston campuses utilizing hybrid and interactive classroom learning formats. The program classroom and lab time extends over three semesters (fall, spring, and summer) and is followed by a cumulative field internship.
The Paramedicine certificate is approved for the Vermont Training Program (VTP) grant, which covers up to 50% of the tuition expense. Students should complete the FASFA and general scholarship application to be considered for any other available financial aid.
Students learn paramedic skills through independent study, online discussions, lectures, demonstrations, and practice in an Emergency Medical Services (EMS) lab. Under preceptor supervision, students also provide patient care in a variety of pre-hospital and in-hospital health care settings.
Upon completion of the program, Paramedicine graduates are awarded certificates and are eligible to apply to take the National Registry of EMTs’ Paramedic examination. After licensure/certification, Paramedicine graduates typically find employment in pre-hospital or in-hospital care settings working as a member of the health care team.
The Vermont Tech Paramedic Certificate program has been issued a Letter of Review by the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP). This letter is not a CAAHEP accreditation status; it is a status signifying that a program seeking initial accreditation has demonstrated sufficient compliance with the accreditation standards through the Letter of Review Self Study Report (LSSR) and other documentation. LSSR is recognized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) for eligibility to take the NREMT Paramedic credentialing examinations. However, it is not a guarantee of eventual accreditation.
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111‐312
Rowlett, TX 75088
Phone: (214) 703‐8445
Fax: (214) 703‐8992
A student with a certificate in Paramedicine will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper affective behaviors when interacting with patients, the public, and member of the health care team
- Perform a comprehensive history and physical examination to identify factors affecting the health and health needs of a patient
- Formulate a field impression based on analysis of comprehensive assessment findings, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and epidemiology
- Relate assessment findings to underlying pathological and physiological changes in the patient’s condition
- Integrate and synthesize the multiple determinants of health and clinical care
- Perform health screenings and referrals
- Effectively communicate in a manner that is culturally sensitive and intended to improve patient outcome
- Safely and effectively perform all psychomotor skills within the National EMS Scope of Practice Model and state Scope of Practice at the Paramedic level
- Anticipate and prospectively intervene to improve patient outcome
- Act as a role model of exemplary professional behavior
- Perform basic and advanced interventions as part of a treatment plan intended to mitigate the emergency, provide symptom relief, and improve the overall health of the patient
- Evaluate the effectiveness of interventions and modify treatment plans accordingly
- Report and document assessment findings and interventions
- Collect and report data to be used for epidemiological and research purposes
- Perform a patient assessment, develop a treatment plan, and develop a disposition plan for a patient with a variety of medical and traumatic complaints
- Function as the team leader of a routine, single-patient advanced life support emergency call
- Ensure the safety of the rescuer and others during an emergency
- Assume responsibility for self-directed, goal-oriented growth
- Scholarships: While there are no program-specific scholarships available at this time, additional scholarships are available.
News & Events
- IngeSmith-Luce, MSNEd, BSN, RN, CCPAssistant Professor & Program Director
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.